They never tell you when you get married to check the length of a girl's legs. That's why I've ended up doing 16 locks today. You remember, long legs and you can step across the lock gates.
I even started the day off by walking to the first lock. Here's the captain driving the boat away from the mooring.
Some big, some small.
We actually made good time getting to the top of the Audlem flight. Only a couple of hours to clear 11 locks. At the top lock (above) there is a small canalside stall with homemade pies and pasties, cakes, cold drinks, etc. We bought a couple of pasties and a pork pie and supper and lunch respectively.
Then on to Adderley Locks. Note, the captain's still driving.
Mind you we did get stuck on the ledge at one of the locks and I had to forgo any intelligence I may have had and resort to brute force to get us off. The only problem with brute force is that I was sitting on the narrow gunwale with my back against the cabin and when I extended my legs to get us moving I nearly slid off into the canal. To avoid that calamity I quickly slid along and gracelessly lowered myself backwards into the well deck at the front. Now, not a pretty sight but try to imagine me on my back, legs in the air, in a narrow space thinking: how do I get out of this position? I managed somehow but the captain was quite concerned for my safety since she couldn't see what was going on. I'm sure that someone with shorter legs would have done it more gracefully.
A glance back at the turnover bridge. As you look at the bridge, the horse would come along the towpath, through the arch, over the bridge on the right hand side and recommence towing on the left hand side.
A nice welcome sign as we enter Market Harborough.
The renovated canalside in the centre.
And, at the weekend, a floating market. It seems to be doing a good trade already and it's only Thursday.
Not all the old buildings have disappeared.
We moored up close to the road into town. We also helped a Canadian boater to squeeze in behind us and I had fun playing with the ropes to give him a bit more room to get in.
No walks today, I've already walked nearly 3 miles just up and down the locks.
Should sleep well.












No comments:
Post a Comment